纽约英语口语网新版
单身日记
第 8 课

What's going on in there? 里面怎么了?
Not too bad, actually. 真不赖啊
Tra-la! 啦啦!
Fantastic. 绝对漂亮
Right, let us begin. 好,我们开始
I am going to make you into a princess. 我要把你变成一个公主
Goody. 很好
Nothing like being in the hands of a total genius. 交给这个天才打理就没什么可操心的了

Whatever you do... - Bugger it. - 不管你做什么... - 该死
...don't iron your hair. ...别想熨平你的头发
It's a lot worse than I thought. 比我想象的还糟
We could flatten it with Brylcreem. 我们可以用百利(英国护发品牌)来搞定
What about a wig? Lawyers love wigs. 要不戴假发?律师们都喜欢假发
I preferred you in the gold. - No, whatever you do, not the gold. - 金色很衬你 - 别,不管你穿什么就不要穿金色
Great. I'm late with mad hair and can barely breathe in scary knickers. 顶着蓬乱的头发、裹着透不过气的束腹裤 我迟到了

Oh, God. I'm very worried. 噢,老天。我慌死了
What if someone says "Bridget Jones, get out of here, you are ridiculous"? 会不会有人说 “布里奇特·琼斯,快出去,你太荒唐了”
Stop it. 别想了
The most important thing, of course, is to look absolutely wonderful 当然最重要的是要看上去非常完美
and make a magnificent entrance. 然后闪亮登场

Hi. Sorry I'm late. 对不起,我迟到了
Hello. - I think you should go to the ladies. - 你们好 - 我想你最好去一趟化妆间
But I went before I left home. 我出门前去过了
Trust me on this one. 相信我
Oh. 噢
Not good. 太糟了
All right, tiny make-up mistake, 没事的,小小的脸面问题
but I always have wit and conversation to fall back on. 凭我的聪明才智还是可以挽回的

Bridget. - Hello. - 布里奇特. - 你好
Derek, Horatio, Camilla. 得里克,霍雷肖,卡米拉
Horatio? - Yes, Horatio. - 霍雷肖? - 是,霍雷肖
Horatio was just saying he's totally against charitable giving. 霍雷肖刚刚说到他反对慈善募捐

What? - Well, obviously you don't mean it. - 怎么了? - 显然你不是当真的吧
Absolutely. Do you think it's helpful to give a beggar fifty pence? 当然,你觉得给一个乞丐五十便士有用么?
Maybe he's just hungry. - Don't be so naive. - 也许他正好饿了 - 别那么天真了
The people you see outside the tube every day are there by choice. 有些人在外面风餐露宿完全是出于自愿
End of story. - Oh, no, it's not. - 仅此而已 - 不,不是这样的
Some people have terrible personal problems, 有些人有可怕的个人问题
and other people might have lost their family in some tragic ferry disaster.还有些人可能在船难中妻离子散
And some people are just plain hopeless. 也有人仅仅是觉得生活了无希望

Honestly, this is the sort of rubbish you'd expect from fat, balding 坦白说,那种又肥又秃的保守党 地主乡绅,中产阶级的蠢蛋
Tory, Home Counties, upper-middle-class twits. 才堪称真正的垃圾

How did I do? 我表现的怎么样?
You seem to have made quite an impression. 你惊艳四方了
I've put you next to Giles Benwick. 我把你安排在贾尔斯·班维克旁边
Oh, I'm not sitting next to you? - No. He's terribly nice, - 我不能坐在你身边吗? - 不行,他为人很好
but his wife's just run off with one of the partners. 不过他妻子刚跟一个合伙人私奔了
He probably won't mention it, but you should know. 他可能不会提,不过你最好知道一下
I always knew she was out of my league. 我一直知道她跟我不是一类人
You see, there's the high-fliers, like Annabel and Mark Darcy 有像安娜贝尔和马克·达西那么有抱负的
and there's the gorgeous girls, like Rebecca there 还有像丽贝卡那么艳光四射的女孩