纽约英语口语网新版
费城英语口语
第52课:Making a Difference 当仁不让 ACT - 1

I don't believe it! 我简直难以相信!
What's wrong? 怎么了?
Carter Boswell! Carter Boswell !
Who's Carter Boswell? 谁是Carter Boswell ?
He's running for the school board. 他正在竞选联合校董事会董事。
The election's next month. 选举就在下个月。
What's wrong with wanting to be on the school board? 想进入联合校董事会有什么不对?
Nothing. 没有什么。
But he wants to cut the school budget! 但他想削减学校的预算!
Maybe it needs cutting. 也许真需要削减呢。
Cutting the budget is fine, 削减预算是好的,
but he wants to do it 但他要削减
by cutting all the cultural programs. 是透过取消所有的文化活动。
No music, no dance, 没有音乐,没有舞蹈,
no concert, no stage presentations. 没有音乐会,没有舞蹈表演。
Why does he want to do that? 为什么他要那么做呢?
He says it's to save the taxpayers' money, 他说这是为了要节省纳税人的钱,
and I think he believes 而我认为他相信
that the taxpayers will vote for him 纳税人会投他一票
if he spends less on the cultural programs. 假如他在文化活动上减少开支的话。
He's probably right. 他也许是对的。
Lots of people want their taxes 许多人希望他们缴的税
used for new books 被用来购买新书
and a new paint job in the schoolrooms. 和重新油漆教室。
Maybe some of us would like to pay a little bit more 也许我们之中有一些人愿意多付一点
and keep the cultural programs for our kids. 以便为我们的孩子保存文化活动。

Well, I'm not sure. Ellen. 噢,我无法肯定。Ellen。
I hear it from my patients. 我是从我的病人那儿听到这些的。
Lots of people are tired of higher taxes. 许多人对于增税很厌烦。
I know, 我知道,
but if Boswell wins 但是假如Boswell赢了
he'll be an important decision-maker 他将成为一个重要的决策者
on the school board, 在联合校董事会中,
and he doesn't know anything 而他一无所知
about our children's education. 对于我们孩子的教育。
Who's running against him? 谁与他竞选?
Nobody. That's the problem. 没有人。这就是问题所在。
Well, it sounds to me like Carter Boswell 噢,听起来好像Carter Boswell
is going to win this seat on the board. 稳登联合校董事会董事的宝座了。
Oh, not if I can stop him! 噢,要是我能阻止他,他就甭想!
And how are you going to stop him? 那你怎么去阻止他呢?
I don't know. 我不知道。
Maybe I'll run against him. 也许我与他竞选。
Well, you've got my vote. 哦,那我一定投你的票。

I'm serious, Philip. 我是认真的,Philip。
Why shouldn't I run? 为什么我不能竞选?
Why shouldn't you run for what, Mom? 为什么你不可以竞选什么,妈妈?
Your mother is thinking of 你妈妈正考虑
running for the school board. 竞选联合校董事会董事。
Hey, that's terrific, Mom! 嗨,太棒了,妈妈!
Against Carter Boswell? 和Carter Boswell竞争?
Great! 太好了!
Well, if I run for office, 嗯,假如我出来竞选公职,
the voters will have a clear choice. 投票人可以有明确的选择。
I stand for everything Boswell doesn't. 我代表Boswell所不赞成的观点。
I think a lot of people will vote for you 我想很多人会投票支持你的。
against Boswell, Ellen. 和Boswell对抗 Ellen。
I'll vote for you. 我会投你的票。
Will you help me if I do run? 假如我真的竞选,你会帮我忙吗?
Absolutely. 当然。
The trouble is 问题是
it takes a little bit of money to run a campaign. 竞选活动需要花一些钱。
I think you can make a difference, Ellen. 我觉得你可以发挥影响力的,Ellen。
And in a short campaign 而且这一场短暂的竞选
you wouldn't need as much money. 不需要花多少钱。
You know something, Ellen? 知道一件事吗,Ellen?
Why not give the people of Riverdale a clear choice? 为什么不让Riverdale地区的人民有一个明确的选择呢?
I'm with you. 我支持你。
You can make a difference.你会发挥影响力。

Come in. 请进。
Mr. Maxwell? 您是Maxwell先生吗?
Yes, Charles Maxwell. 是的,我是Charles Maxwell。
My name is Ellen Stewart. 我叫Ellen Stewart。
Hello. 你好。
Please, sit down. 请坐。
You asked to see me. 你要求见我。
What would you like to see me about? 找我有什么事?
I'd like your help. 我要请你帮忙。
Well, 噢,
I'm editor of the most influential newspaper in Riverdale. 我是Riverdale最有影响力的报纸的编辑。
Actually, it's the only newspaper. 事实上,它是唯一的报纸。
A lot of people would like my help. 许多人要我帮助。
Do you have a story? 有什么新闻故事呢?
I'm planning to run for the school board. 我打算竞选联合校董事会董事。
Against Carter Boswell? 和Carter Boswell打对手?
Yes. 是的。
Well, that is news. 噢,这可是个新闻。
Will you announce that I'm running? 你会宣布我参加竞选的消息吗?
Sure. 当然。
But I need some information. 但我需要一些资料。
Of course. 那当然。
Why will the voters vote for you against Boswell, 为什么选民会投票支持你,和Boswell对抗,
Mrs. Stewart? Stewart太太?
Because I care. 因为我关心。

"Vote for Ellen Stewart. She cares." “投Ellen Stewart一票。她关心。”
Not a bad slogan. 不错的标语。
But what do you care about? 但你关心什么呢?
Well, I care about the children of our town. 噢,我关心我们镇上的孩子们。
I don't want them to grow up 我不希望在他们成长期
without cultural programs in our school. 我们的学校没有文化活动。
Do you have a plan? 有计划吗?
I want our children to learn 我要孩子们学习到
more than reading, writing, and arithmetic. 比阅读,写作,及算术更多的东西。
I want to keep the after-school programs-- 我要保存这些课外活动
the music, the concerts. 音乐, 音乐会。
It's not a bad plan. 这是个不错的计划。
But who's going to pay for all of this? 但谁来为这些付钱呢?
We are. 我们呀。
The citizens of Riverdale, of course. 当然是Riverdale的公民。
I plan to get help 我打算争取
from the businessmen and the corporations of Riverdale. Riverdale的商人和企业的支持。
That's fair enough. 这倒很公平。
Exactly what do you want from me, Mrs. Stewart? 究竟对我有什么要求,Stewart太太?
You don't know me. 你不认识我。
I can't expect you to take my side against Boswell. 我不敢期望你站在我这一边来对抗Boswell。
But I do need some publicity 但我需要一些宣传
so that the people of our town 好让我们镇上的人
know that I'm running for office 知道我正在竞选公职
and that I care about our children. 且知道我关心我们的孩子。
Fair enough. 很公平。
I certainly can print the news. 我当然可以刊出这则新闻
And you are now making news. 而且你现在就是在创造新闻。