纽约英语口语网新版
哥伦布英语
第 38 课:“I Don't Have to Eat All the Egg.”“我不必吃掉整个鸡蛋。”

A lady once wrote a long story. 曾经有位女士,她写了一篇很长的小说,

She sent it to a famous editor. After a few weeks the story was returned to her. 并把它寄给了一位著名的编辑。几周后小说退回来了。

The lady was angry. She wrote to the editor: 女士很生气,她给编辑写了封信。

"Dear Sir: Yesterday you sent back a story of mine. “尊敬的编辑先生: 昨天你把我的小说退回来了。

How do you know that the story is not good? 你怎么知道这小说不好?

You did not read it. 你根本没有读过。

Before I sent you the story, I pasted together pages 18, 19 and 20. 在寄给你之前,我把十八、十九和二十页粘在了一起。

This was a test to see whether you would read the story. 这是要检查你是否会读我写的小说。

When the story came back yesterday, the pages were still pasted together. 昨天小说退回来时,这三页还粘在一起。

Is this the way you read all the stories that are sent to you?"难道这就是你阅读所有寄给你的作品的方式吗?”

The editor wrote back: "Dear Madam: 编辑回信写道:“尊敬的女士:

At breakfast when I open an egg I don't have to eat all the egg to discover that it is bad.? 早餐时我打开一只鸡蛋,我不必等到吃完整个鸡蛋后才发现蛋是臭的。”