纽约英语口语网新版
金巴利英语口语
第 6 课: Like synchronized swimming? 好比水上芭蕾?

Steve: [Whispering] Hey, check out that guy on the next table. He's totally built! (低语)嘿,你看看在隔壁桌那个人。他的体格真棒!

Todd: That's Dan O'Brien, stupid! He's a decathlete gold medalist! 那是唐欧布莱恩,笨蛋!他是十项运动的金牌选手!

Steve: No wonder. He's got muscles bulging out of every inch of his body. 难怪。他全身上下都有肌肉鼓来鼓去的。

Todd: He's what you call an all-around athlete. Ten events in two days--that's tough. 他就是所谓的全能选手。十项运动两天之内就结束--真够呛的。

Steve: You've heard of Bruce Jenner, haven't you? 你有听过布鲁斯詹纳,是吧?

Todd: He won the decathlon in the 1976 Olympics, right? 他赢得了一九七六年奥运的十项冠军,对吧?

Steve: I read that he trained so much that he used to dream about jumping hurdles. 我看报导说他以前训练到连做梦都会梦到在跳栏。

Todd: I can think of better things to dream about... 我能想到更值得梦的事……

Steve: Sometimes he would wake up covered in sweat, with his legs pumping away. 有时他会全身大汗醒来,腿还在那边蹦啊蹦的。

Todd: That's crazy. 真是疯了。

Steve: I'm really amazed by some of the things that are called Olympic sports. 我对一些运动能被称作奥运项目感到大惑不解。

Todd: Like synchronized swimming? 好比水上芭蕾?

Steve: Exactly! I mean, it's pretty and all, but is doing ballet upside-down in a pool a sport? 正是!我是说,那是很美没错,不过在游泳池里倒立跳芭蕾也叫运动?

Todd: I couldn't agree more. 我再同意你不过了。

Steve: It's a sport for wussies. 那是给软脚虾做的运动。

Todd: Oh! I almost strained a muscle getting off the table. Let's stretch a bit in the steam room. 喔!我下桌子的时候差点扭到肌肉。我们去蒸汽室舒展一下。