纽约英语口语网新版
加路连英语口语
第 109 课: She's really smart. 她真的很聪明

Linger: Hi, Aduh. I brought somebody to talk to you. 嗨,阿德。我带了人来跟你谈谈。

Amanda: Hi, Aduh, my name's Amanda. 嗨,阿德。我叫亚曼达。

Linger: Amanda's a history student from America. She knows all about American democracy. 亚曼达在美国念的是历史。她对美国民主有全盘的了解。

Amanda: I used to study electoral politics. 我过去读的是选举政治。

Linger: I brought her to convince you that it's important to vote. 我带她来说服你投票很重要。

Amanda: Before people voted, they had no choice in their government. 在人民可投票前,他们无法选择政府。

Linger: See? She's really smart. 看吧?她真的很聪明。

Amanda: In the beginning, only white males who owned land could vote. 一开始只有白人男性地主才能投票。

Aduh: And then poor whites, blacks and women got the right to vote. I know. 接着贫穷的白人、黑人和女人才有权利投票。这我知道。

Linger: But... politicians started saying what people wanted to hear, and then just ignored them. 但……政客开始说些人们想听的话,然后就不理他们。

Aduh: Exactly. So nothing really changed with the vote. 没错。所以投票其实没什么改变。

Linger: Today's worse. President Bush didn't really win the election. 现在情况就更糟了。布什总统并没有真的赢得选举。

Aduh: I heard about that. It's some kind of big conspiracy, right? 我有听说。这是某种大阴谋,对吧?

Linger: Yep. His brother, the governor of Florida, helped make him president. 对。他的兄弟,也就是佛罗里达州州长,帮他当上总统的。

Aduh: You and I totally agree. 我完全同意你的说法。