纽约英语口语网新版
加路连英语口语
第 56 课: Is that all that they care about? 他们就只在意那些吗?

Ian: A statement of purpose needs a unifying theme. In your case, that will probably be coffee. 读书计划需要有一致的主题。以你来说,主题大概可以是咖啡吧。

Candy: About my favorite kinds of coffee? Or why I like to drink them? 关于我最喜欢的几种咖啡吗?或是为什么我喜欢喝咖啡?

Ian: No, you should write about why coffee will fit into your career. You want to open what kind of cafee? 不,你应该写为什么咖啡会是适合你的事业。你想要开怎样的咖啡馆呢?

Candy: Just a place in Taiwan that actually serves decent coffee. 不过就是在台湾开一个真正卖好咖啡的地方。

Ian: And if it were successful, would you want to open new branches? 如果它成功了,你会想要开分店吗?

Candy: I never thought about that. But I suppose I wouldn't mind opening a chain store. 我从来没想过。但我想我不介意开连锁店。

Ian: Good, this is sounding more and more like a long-term plan. 很好,这听起来越来越像个长程计划了。

Candy: But I might change my mind. 但我还可能改变心意。

Ian: That's OK. You just want to present a coherent, long-term picture of your goals. Admissions committees like that. 没关系。你只是想呈现出一个条理分明的、有远景的目标。入学许可委员会喜欢那样的东西。

Candy: Is that all that they care about? 他们就只在意那些吗?

Ian: They'd also like to see how you're going to help the world. Maybe you want to encourage sustainable coffee growing. 他们还想看你将如何帮助全世界。也许你想提倡永续种植咖啡的方法。

Candy: You'll write that for me, right? 你会替我写那部分,对吧?

Ian: This is your application, not mine. Don't forget the letters of recommendation next time! 这是你在申请学校,不是我。下次别忘了推荐信!