"Of course," I said, not meaning it. My head was beginning to ache. “当 然,” 我 说, 实 际 上 我 并 不 明 白。 我 的 头 开 始 痛 起 来。
"Ummm. Yes, "the teacher continued. " Regroup again. Now you have only nine tens. “嗯。 是 的,” 老 师 继 续 说 着。 “再 重 新 组 合。 现 在 你 只 有 9 个 10 了。
Take the 10 and bring it over to the ones column because 10 ones equal one. Now you have 12 ones. Do you understand?" 把 10 个 移 到 个 位 去, 因 为 10 个 1 等 于 1 个 10。 现 在 你 有 12 个 1 了。 你 懂 了 吗?”
"What's there not to understand?" I said. There was lots. But I wasn't going to let on to the teacher that I didn't understand.“ 这 有 什 么 懂 不 了 的 呢?” 我 说。 可 实 际 上 我 还 是 稀 里 糊 涂。 但 是 我 是 不 会 让 老 师 知 道 我 没 懂 的。
I simply said, "Thanks." Then I added, "And know can I ask a very personal question?" 我 只 说 了 声 “谢 谢”。 然 后 我 又 补 了 一 句: “我 能 否 问 一 个 纯 粹 是 我 个 人 的 问 题?”
"Of course. Go right ahead." “当 然。 请 吧。”
"Is the answer 23?" “得 数 是 不 是 23?”
"Yes. But if you were working in units other than ten, it could be something else." “是 的。 但 是 如 果 你 用 的 不 是 十 进 位 制, 而 是 用 别 的 进 位 制, 那 得 数 就 可 能 是 别 的 什 么 数 字 了。”
I hung up and found my way to the medicine chest. My head was now pounding. 我 挂 断 了 电 话, 摸 索 着 去 找 药 箱。 这 时 我 的 脑 袋 象 一 下 一 下 挨 重 击 似 的 疼 痛。
I started popping aspirin into my mouth. "How many did you take?" my wife asked. 我 开 始 把 阿 斯 匹 林 片 往 嘴 里 塞。 “你 吃 了 几 片?” 妻 子 问 道。
"I took one and then I took another. One plus one used to equal two, but don't ask me what it adds up to now." “我 吃 了 一 片, 然 后 又 吃 了 一 片。 1 加 1 过 去 等 于 2, 但 请 别 问 我 它 现 在 等 于 几。”