纽约英语口语网新版
美国概况英语
第 16 课:Dial "A" For Attention 吸引注意力请拨“A”-1

Alive customer is absolutely no match for a telephone, I discovered recently. 一 个 活 生 生 的 顾 客 绝 对 比 不 上 一 台 电 话, 这 是 我 新 近 发 现 的。

"May I help you?" beamed the department-store saleslady. “您 有 什 么 事?” 一 个 百 货 公 司 售 货 员 微 笑 着 问 我。

"Yes, I'd like..." “呵, 我 想 要 . . .”

"Excuse me, the phone's ringing," said the clerk, hustling away. Finally, she cradled the intruder and headed in my direction. “对 不 起, 电 话 响 了,” 售 货 员 说 着 急 忙 走 了。 过 了 一 会, 她 总 算 把 那 捣 乱 的 听 筒 挂 上, 向 我 这 边 走 来。

Before she had taken two steps another jingle sent her back to the phone. My time ran out and I left. 可 还 没 走 两 步, 铃 又 响 了, 她 又 回 去 接 电 话。 我 没 工 夫 再 等, 所 以 只 好 走 了。

My next stop was at the public library. At the reference desk, I cooled my heels while the librarian dispensed volumes of information via telephone. 接 着 我 去 了 公 共 图 书 馆。 查 询 台 的 服 务 员 正 通 过 电 话 传 播 大 量 信 息。 在 台 前 空 候 多 时 之 后,

Conceding victory to my ringing rival, I retreated. 我 只 有 向 电 话 - 那 位 叮 叮 响 的 对 手 投 降 并 撤 退 了。

That evening after supper, I surveyed my family. My husband and our three boys were sprawled about the living room, reading and watching TV. 那 天 晚 餐 之 后, 我 环 顾 了 一 下 全 家。 我 丈 夫 和 三 个 儿 子 横 七 竖 八 躺 坐 在 起 居 室 里。 有 的 在 看 书, 有 的 在 看 电 视。

"Anything exciting happen today?" I asked. The replies came in various stages of indifference. "No." "Nope." "Naw." "Nothing." “今 天 都 碰 上 什 么 新 鲜 事 了?” 我 问。 “没。” - “没 有。” - “没 事。” - “没 什 么。” 回 答 都 是 漠 不 关 心, 只 是 程 度 不 同 罢 了。

I went upstairs, dialed the number on the extension phone and hung up. When the kitchen phone rang and was answered, I picked up the extension. 我 到 楼 上, 在 电 话 分 机 上 拨 了 自 家 的 号 码 然 后 马 上 挂 上 耳 机。 厨 房 里 的 电 话 机 响 了 之 后 有 人 去 接, 我 随 即 拿 起 听 筒。

"Hello," cracked the voice of our 14-year-old. “喂,” 这 是 我 们 14 岁 儿 子 的 粗 嗓 音。