纽约英语口语网新版
初到加国口语
第 36 课:Education 教 育-1

A: I'm interested in how children are educated in Canada .我 对 加 拿 大 的 儿 童 教 育 感 兴 趣。

B: Education is compulsory from ages 5 to 16. 5 ~ 16 岁 的 儿 童 是 接 受 义 务 教 育 的。

A: Is it free? 是 免 费 吗?

B: Yes, up to the end of secondary school, that is, about age 18. 是 的, 直 到 读 完 中 学, 即 18 岁 为 止。

A: What do you mean by " secondary " school? “ 中 等” 学 校 是 什 么 意 思?

B: Early school, that is, primary grade to about grade 8, is called " elementary " school. Above that, up to grade 12, is called "secondary" school. Post-secondary education, university and professional training, are sometimes called "tertiary" education. 初 等 学 校, 即 一 级 至 八 级 称 为 小 学。 八 级 以 上 到 十 二 级 称 为 中 学。 大 专、 大 学 和 专 业 培 训 有 时 都 称 做“ 高 等” 教 育。

A: In China we have two streams in high school, sciences and liberal arts. 在 中 国, 高 中 有 两 个 方 向。 一 是 理 科 班, 二 是 文 科 班。

B: Canada also has two streams in high school, academic and commercial. But university entrance may be gained only from the academic stream. 加 拿 大 高 中 也 分 两 个 方 向, 一 是 学 术 性 的, 二 是 商 业 性 的。 但 学 生 一 般 只 能 通 过 学 术 性 的 这 一 渠 道 进 入 大 学。

A: I heard that some parents pay for their children's education in Canada. 我 听 说, 在 加 拿 大, 一 些 父 母 花 钱 供 孩 子 们 上 学。

B: Yes. If you are not satisfied with the public school system, you can send your child to a private school which may possibly give a better education. 是 的。 如 果 你 对 公 立 学 校 体 制 不 满 意 的 话, 你 可 以 送 孩 子 去 私 立 学 校, 这 些 学 校 可 能 会 提 供 较 好 的 教 育。

A: Is it expensive? 收 费 高 吗?

B: Yes, sometimes more than university, especially if it's a boarding school. 高。 有 些 比 大 学 还 高, 特 别 是 寄 宿 学 校。