纽约英语口语网新版
芝华士英语口语
第 72 课: Keeping a Pet养宠物

Mother : Jimmy? Jimmy?.. What are you doing in the kitchen? 吉米?吉米?……你在厨房做什么?

Jimmy : Nothing, Mommy. I was hungry so I came here for some milk. 没什么,妈。我饿了,所以来找牛奶喝。

Mother : Milk? I thought you didn't like milk. 牛奶?我以为你讨厌牛奶。

Jimmy : I don't, but I couldn't find anything to eat in the refrigerator. 我是不喜欢,可是我在冰箱里找不到东西可以吃。

Mother : Nonsense. There's lots of food in the refrigerator .... What's behind your back? 胡说。冰箱里有很多吃的。……你背后是什么东西?

Jimmy : Nothing. 没有啊。

Mother : What are you hiding behind your back? Let me see. 你背后藏了什么东西? 给我看。

Jimmy : Promise that you won't get angry. 答应我你不会生气。

Mother : OK, I promise. What is it? 好,我答应。是什么?

Jimmy : It's a kitty. 是一只小猫咪。

Mother : Oh, Jimmy. I told you. No pets. It'll make a mess of this house. 哦,吉米。我告诉过你,不准养小动物。它会把家里弄得一团糟。

Jimmy : Please, Mommy. Everybody else in my class keeps a pet. Please. I'll take care of it. It's a good kitty. It'll not bring you any trouble. 拜托嘛,妈,我们班上每个同学都有宠物。拜托嘛。我会照顾它的。它不会给你添麻烦。

Mother : No way. It might belong to somebody else. You can't keep it here. 不行。它也许是别人的。你不能把它留在这里。

Jimmy : Please, Mommy. I found it this afternoon by the garbage can. It was starving and looking for something to eat. Please! You see, it's so cute and tame. 拜托啦,妈。我今天下午在垃圾桶旁边找到它的。它饿坏了,正在找东西吃。求求你! 你看,它好可爱,好温驯。

Mother : All right. But you have to clean up everything it messes up. 好吧。但是你得清理任何他弄脏的东西。

Jimmy : I will. Thank you, Mommy. 我会的。谢谢你,妈。

Mother : What will your father say? 你爸爸会怎么说呢?