纽约英语口语网新版
密苏里英语口语
第 22 课: He can't be so bad. 他不可能那麽差劲.

FRIEND: What do you mean? 我不懂?

LAURA: For him, business is everything. Business is his life. 对他来说, 生意就是一切, 生意就是他的生命.

FRIEND: Oh, Laura. He can't be so bad. 噢, 劳拉, 他不可能那麽差劲.

LAURA: Oh, yes he is. He's a machine. 他的确那麽差劲. 他像机器一样.

LAURA: No friendly words, no smiles, no little compliments. Nothing. Just business. 从来不说一声友善的话, 从来不微笑, 从来不称赞人家一下. 什麽都没有, 就只有生意.

LAURA: He isn't human. 他没有人性.

FRIEND: What about your work? You like it, don't you? 你的工作怎麽样? 你喜欢, 对不对?

LAURA: Yes, I do. And I know I'm a good secretary, but... 是的, 我喜欢. 而且我知道我是个好秘书, 可 是...

FRIEND: But what? 可是怎麽样?

LAURA: To him, I am nothing. A machine. A late machine. I am not a machine. 我在他的眼里一文不值, 是部机器. 一部过时的机器, 但我不是机器!

FRIEND: Why don't you talk to him? 你为什麽不和他说呢?

LAURA: Because he's impossible. Leopards don't change their spots. I have to look for a new job. 因为他不可理喻, 本性难移. 我必须找份新工作.

PAUL What are you doing? 你在做什麽?

JOANA: I'm writing a note to the Crawfords. I want to thank them for dinner. 我在写一封信给郭佛家人, 以感谢他们的晚餐招待.

PAUL Why don't you call them? Here people always use the phone. 为什麽不打电话? 这里的人都是用电话的.

JOANA: Well, okay. 好吧.