纽约英语口语网新版
密苏里英语口语
第 77 课:It's a long story. 一言难尽.

MICHAEL: Well, you're a pretty good hostess. I was tired of giving parties by myself.那么, 你是个很棒的女主人了, 我自己办宴会都办累了.

JOANA: You know, when I was a teenager, I used to go to parties all the time. I enjoyed myself every minute--parties, dances, boys. 知道吗? 我在少女时代,经常参加聚会. 我一天到晚玩得非常开心, 参加聚会, 去跳舞, 交男朋友.

MICHAEL: It sounds like fun. 听来蛮有趣的.

JOANA: It was. I used to live from dance to dance. On the weekends, Paulo and I never used to be home. 真的很好玩, 一个舞会结束了, 我就开始期待着下一个, 到了周末, 我和保罗根本就不惯于待在家里.

MICHAEL: Paulo? I don't believe it. I thought he worked all the time--like my brother. 保罗? 真难以置信, 我还以为他只懂得工作, 就像我哥哥一样.

JOANA: Your brother? I didn't know you had a brother. 你哥哥? 我还不知道你有一个哥哥.

MICHAEL: It's a long story. 一言难尽.

JOANA: We have time. 我们有的是时间.

MICHAEL: OK. How about a cup of coffee? Then I'll tell you about myself. 好, 要不要喝杯咖啡? 然后我告诉你一些关于我自己的事.

JOANA: Let me help. 我来帮忙.

MICHAEL: No. That's OK. This kitchen is too small for two. Look around. Make yourself at home. 不, 我来就可以了. 这个厨房太小, 不能容纳两个人. 到处随便看看, 不要拘束.

PAUL Do you remember my idea for an art competition at the Fair? 记不记得我在万博会举行艺术比赛的构想?

JOANA: Yes. How did they like it? 记得, 他们的反应如何?

PAUL Very much. In fact, we're starting the project immediately. And guess who's in charge? 非常好, 事实上 我们立刻就要展开活动. 而且, 你猜谁来负责?

JOANA: I don't know. I give up. 我不晓得, 我不猜.