纽约英语口语网新版
密苏里英语口语
第 79 课:He used to study night and day. 他日以继夜的念书

JOANA: Michael gave himself a deadline. Either he does well this year, or he gives up art and goes into business with his father. 麦可为自己定下了一个期限. 他今年要是不成功的话, 就放弃艺术, 和他爸爸从事经商.

PAUL How well is "well"? How is he going to measure success? Does he have to paint as well as the masters? 要怎么样才算 "成功" 了呢? 他如何去衡量成败?他是必需要画得和名画家一样好吗?

JOANA: I don't really know. But he has to prove something to himself. 我并不清楚, 反正,他要向自己证明一件事.

PAUL Then this competition could be his big chance. 那么这个比赛可能是他的一个大好机会.

JOANA: Yes, it could. 是的, 将会是个大好机会.

: Gary, my brother. Gary Whitney Crawford, Jr. 我哥哥瑞?小葛瑞?维特尼?郭佛,

: He looks just like me, you know, Joana. At least he used to. 你知道的, 琼娜他和我长得一模一样, 至少以前很像.

: He's eighteen months older than I am, but as kids we used to wear the same clothes and pretend we were twins! 他比我大十八个月, 但是我们小的时候都穿同样的衣服, 假装我们是双胞胎.

: Gary was the greatest brother in the world, and in many ways, he was my father, too.葛瑞是个全世界最好的哥哥, 在很多方面, 他也可作我爸爸.

: Dad didn't have time for me. He was too busy. 我爸爸没有时间陪我,他太忙碌了.

: Gary and I went to the same college, but that's when things started to change. 我和葛瑞上同一间大学, 可是到那个时候, 情况就开始转变了,

: He studied business. 他学商了.

: Why did he study business? 他为甚么学商业?

: Because my father wanted him to. 因为我爸爸要他这样做,

: He used to study night and day. 他日以继夜的念书,