纽约英语口语网新版
泰坦尼克号
第 7 课

Brock: Louis XVI wore a fabulous stone that was called the Blue Diamond of the Crown路易十六世有颗 “王冠碧钻”
which disappeared in 1 792 在一七九二年时不见了
about the same time old Louis lost everything from the neck up. 差不多就是在他上断头台那年
The theory goes that the crown diamond was chopped, too 有人说 , 钻石被分割了
recut into a heart-like shape that became known as ""Heart of the Ocean."" 重新切割成心形 叫 “海洋之心”

Today it would be worth more than the Hope Diamond. 如今它的价值 可远超过 “希望之钻”

It was a dreadful, heavy thing. I only wore it this once. 那东西重得不得了
Lizzie: You actually think this is you, Nana? 我只戴过一次 奶奶 , 你真的认为这是你吗 ?
It is me, dear. Wasn"t I a dish? 这当然是我 , 亲爱的 ! 我那时很美吧 ?

I tracked it down through insurance records-- 我翻遍保险资料
An old claim that was settled under terms of absolute secrecy. 理赔条件是要绝对保密

Can you tell me who the claimant was, Rose? 获理赔的人是谁 ?
I should imagine someone named Hockley. 我想应该是个姓霍克理的人

Brock: Nathan Hockley, that"s right. Pittsburgh steel tycoon. 对 , 奈森 . 霍克理匹兹堡钢铁大亨
Claim was for a diamond necklace 他掉了一条钻石项链
his son Caledon bought his fiancee--you 是他儿子买给未婚妻 . . 你的
a week before he sailed on Titanic. 那是上船之前一星期时买的
It was filed right after the sinking 沉船后就马上办理赔了
so the diamond had to have gone down with the ship. 因此项链 一定跟着船沉入海底了

You see the date? 看到日期没有 ?
""April 1 4, 1 91 2."" 一九一二年四月十四日
Which means if your grandmother is who she says she is 如果你祖母就是那女的
she was wearing the diamond the day the Titanicsank. 铁达尼沉没时 . . 她就戴着那条项链
And that makes you my new best friend. 这也就使你成为我的新好友

These are some of the things we recovered from your stateroom. 这是从船上找到的