'The play may begin at any moment,' I said. “剧马上就要开演了,”我说。
'It may have begun already,' Susan answered. “也许已经开演了呢,”苏珊回答说。
I hurried to the ticket office. 'May I have two tickets please?' I asked. 我匆匆赶到售票处,问:“我可以买两张票吗?”
'I'm sorry, we've sold out,' the girl said. “对不起,票已售完。”那位姑娘说。
'What a pity!' Susan exclaimed. “真可惜!”苏珊大声说。
Just then, a man hurried to the ticket office. 正在这时,一个男子匆匆奔向售票处。
'Can I return these two tickets?' he asked. “我可以退掉这两张票吗?”他问。
'Certainly,' the girl said. “当然可以,”那姑娘说。
I went back to the ticket office at once. 我马上又回到售票处。
'Could I have those two tickets please?' I asked. “我可以买那两张票吗?”我问。
'Certainly,' the girl said, 'but they're for next Wednesday's performance. Do you still want them?' “当然可以,不过这两张票是下星期三的,您是否还要呢?”
'I might as well have them,' I said sadly. “我还是买下的好,”我垂头丧气地说。
New words and expressions 生词和短语
hurry v. 匆忙
ticket office 售票处
pity n. 令人遗憾的事
exclaim v. 大声说
return v. 退回
sadly adv. 悲哀地,丧气地