纽约英语口语网新版
NCE英语-2
Lesson 41 Do you call that a hat?
你把那个叫帽子吗?

'Do you call that a hat?' I said to my wife. “你把那个叫帽子吗?”我对妻子说。

'You needn't be so rude about it,' my wife answered as she looked at herself in the mirror. “你说话没必要这样不客气,”我的妻子边回答边照着镜子。

I sat down on one of those modern chairs with holes in it and waited. 我坐在一个新式的满是网眼儿的椅子上,等待着。

We had been in the hat shop for half an hour and my wife was still in front of the mirror. 我们在这家帽店已经呆了半个小时了,而我的妻子仍在镜子面前。

'We mustn't buy things we don't need,' I remarked suddenly. I regretted saying it almost at once. “我们不应该买我们不需要的东西,”我突然发表意见说,但马上又后悔说了这话。

'You needn't have said that,' my wife answered. 'I needn't remind you of that terrible tie you bought yesterday.' “你没必要这么说,”我妻子回答说,“我也不必提醒你昨天买的那条糟糕透了的领带。”

'I find it beautiful,' I said. 'A man can never have too many ties.' “我觉得它好看,”我说,“男人有多少领带也不会嫌多。”

'And a woman can't have too many hats,' she answered. “女人有多少帽子也不嫌多。”她回答。

Ten minutes later we walked out of the shop together. My wife was wearing a hat that looked like a lighthouse! 10分钟以后,我们一道走出了商店。我妻子戴着一顶像灯塔一样的帽子。


New words and expressions 生词和短语

rude adj. 无礼的

mirror n. 镜子

hole n. 孔

remark v. 评说

remind v. 提醒

lighthouse n. 灯塔