纽约英语口语网新版
NCE英语-2
Lesson 87 A perfect alibi
极好的不在犯罪现场的证据

'At the time the murder was committed, I was travelling on the 8 o'clock train to London,' said the man. “在凶杀发生的时候,我正坐在8点钟开往伦敦的火车上。”那人说。

'Do you always catch such an early train?' asked the inspector. “您总是赶这样早的火车?”探长问。

'Of course I do,' answered the man. 'I must be at work at 10 o'clock. My employer will confirm that I was there on time.' “当然是的,”那人回答。“我必须在10点钟上班,我的雇主会证明我是按时到了那儿的。”

'Would a later train get you to work on time?' asked the inspector. “晚一点儿的车也能送您按时上班吗?”

'I suppose it would, but I never catch a later train.' “我认为可以,但我从来不乘晚一点儿的车。”

'At what time did you arrive at the station?' “您几点钟到的火车站?”

'At ten to eight. I bought a paper and waited for the train.' “7点50分。我买了张报纸,等着车来。”

'And you didn't notice anything unusual?' “您没有注意到有什么异常情况发生吗?”

'Of course not.' “当然没有。”

'I suggest,' said the inspector, 'that you are not telling the truth. I suggest that you did not catch the 8 o'clock train, but that you caught the 8.25 which would still get you to work on time. “我提醒您,”探长说,“您讲的不是实话。您乘的不是8点钟的火车,而是8点25分的,这次车同样能使您按时上班。

You see, on the morning of the murder, the 8 o'clock train did not run at all. It broke down at Ferngreen station and was taken off the line.' 您看,在凶杀发生的那天早晨,8点钟的那次车根本没有发。它在芬格林车站出了故障而被取消了。”


New words and expressions 生词和短语

alibi n. 不在犯罪现场

commit v. 犯(罪、错)

inspector n. 探长

employer n. 雇主

confirm v. 确认,证实

suggest v. 提醒

truth n. 真相