纽约英语口语网新版
士丹利英语口语
第 19 课: Make fun of what? 拿什么开玩笑?

Wei: These Timbits are grrreat! Is there other Canadian stuff we should try, too? 这些甜甜圈球好好吃!还有什么我们应该尝试的加拿大食物吗?

Paul: Oh yeah! We'll have to get our hands on some poutine—you'll love it! 噢,有!我们一定要去找一些‘普汀’来试试——你会爱上它的!

Wei: Great! [quietly] Uh, did you say "pot?" 太棒了!!(小声地)嗯,你是说‘大麻’吗?

Paul: Ah, umm...no..."Poutine!" The Canadian staple! You know, fries with cheese,
gravy... 喔,嗯……不。是‘普汀’!加拿大名产!就是,淋上起司、肉汁的薯条……

Wei: I was wondering...is it possible to tell Canadians and Americans apart? 我很好奇……有可能分辨谁是加拿大人,谁是美国人吗?

Paul: Oh yeah! The Canadian will be unarmed and have health insurance. 噢,当然!加拿大人不会带武器,而且有健保。

Trev: Ha! Not quite: the Canadian will have no money after taxes and can't get to work once a week due to snow! 哈!不尽然:加拿大人缴完税就没钱了,而且每周有一天因为下雪而无法工作!

Paul: Ha-ha! I like that one! We Canadians like to make fun of ourselves the most! 哈哈!我喜欢那个笑话!我们加拿大人最喜欢开自己玩笑!

Trev: Make fun of what? 拿什么开玩笑?

Paul: Everything and anything! Our love for hockey, holidays, beer, our cold weather, our politeness... 任何事都行!我们对冰上曲棍球的热爱、假日、啤酒、我们的冷天气、我们的彬彬有礼……

Trev: How can you make fun of politeness? 你们要怎么拿彬彬有礼开玩笑?

Paul: Another joke...How do you get the Canadian paparazzi off your front lawn? 再来一个玩笑……要怎么让加拿大的狗仔队离开你前院的草皮?

Trev: I don't know. 我不知道。

Paul: You say: "Please get off my front lawn." Pretty funny, eh? 只要说:‘请离开我前院的草皮。’很有趣呗?