纽约英语口语网新版
士丹利英语口语
第 35 课: That's an amazing story 那真是令人惊奇的故事

Jade: Did he stab the octopus? 他有用刀刺那只章鱼吗?

GF: Yes! He defeated the octopus and pulled it ashore. Everyone came to the beach and cooked and ate it. 有啊!他战胜那只章鱼,把它拖到岸上来。大家都围到海滩,把那只章鱼煮来吃掉了。

Jade: That's an amazing story. How many people lived on that island? 那真是令人惊奇的故事。当时有多少人住在那个岛上?

GF: Only nine hundred. So if you went there, they might call you a barbarian. 只有九百个。所以如果你到那儿,他们可能会叫你野蛮人。

Jade: Oh? Why? 喔?为什么?

GF: That's a Greek word. It means foreigner. Because the Greeks heard foreigners talk and it sounded like bar-bar-bar... 那是个希腊字。它的意思是外国人。因为希腊人听外国人讲话的声音,都是巴啦、巴啦、巴啦……

Jade: That's so funny! I never knew that! 真有趣!我从来都不知道!

Chris: Lots of English words come from Greek. But I don't speak Greek. Only my brothers were sent to Greek school. 很多英文字都是从希腊语来的。不过我不会讲希腊语。只有我哥哥们上过希腊学校。

Jade: Well, it's all Greek to me. I don't understand a word. 嗯,我完全不懂。我一个字都不了解。

Chris: Ha-ha. You know, when my brothers say that, they mean the opposite! 哈哈。你知道吗,当我哥哥们这样说时,他们是指相反的意思!

Jade: You know, being with your family makes me feel like I'm acting in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding. 其实,跟你的家人相处,让我觉得自己好像在演电影《我的希腊婚礼》。

Chris: Well, wait 'til I take you to church with me! 嗯,等我带你去教堂,你才算真正见识到啰!

Taylor: Man, your aunt's place is spotless! 天啊,你阿姨家真是一尘不染!

Yi-jun: She just did a big spring cleaning for the New Year. Chinese New Year is for welcoming in spring after all. 她才刚为新年做过春季大扫除。毕竟中国新年就是为了庆祝春天的到来。

Taylor: And she still found time to get totally decked out! 而且她还抽得出时间精心打扮!

Yi-jun: That's nothing. Tomorrow, New Year's Day, is when the new outfits are worn. 那不算什么。明天大年初一,才是穿新衣的日子。

Taylor: [A little while later] Excellent. The food's coming out. Let's grab a seat! (不久后)太棒了。菜出来了。我们找座位坐吧!

Yi-jun: No, Taylor! Wait! The ancestors are eating! 不行,泰勒!等等!祖先们正在吃东西!