纽约英语口语网新版
士丹利英语口语
第 36 课: It's a tradition 这是传统

Taylor: What's that mean--the ancestors are eating? 祖先正在吃东西——是什么意思?

Yi-jun: See that incense burning over there? That's being burnt for our ancestors. 有没有看到那儿在烧香?那是烧给祖先的。

Taylor: What about all that paper those guys have? 那些人拿的纸又是什么?

Yi-jun: That's ghost money. When that's finished burning, our ancestors are gone. 那是纸钱。那些烧完后,我们的祖先就离开了。

Taylor: And we can eat! There's sooo much food! 我们就可以吃啦!食物真是超丰盛的!

Yi-jun: In Chinese culture, it's always good to have too much. Leftovers mean surplus. 在中国文化中,有剩余是好事。剩菜表示有盈余。

Taylor: I heard serving fish means something like that, too. 我听说准备鱼这道菜,也代表类似的意义。

Yi-jun: “Nian nian you yu.” May every year bring surplus. ‘年年有余’。希望每年都有余。

Taylor: But where's the connection between fish and... 但是有什么关联?鱼跟……

Yi-jun: ...surplus? The Chinese word for fish has the same sound as that for surplus. It's a play on words. ……余吗?中文的鱼跟余有同样的发音。这是一个文字游戏。

Taylor: Well, I think I'll just finish that “surplus”, hah! 呃,我想我要干掉那个 ‘余’,哈!

Yi-jun: Ahh! You need to watch what you say tonight! Saying something unlucky like that will bring bad luck! 啊!你得当心你今晚说的话!说出那样不吉利的话会带来坏运!

Taylor: [Takes envelope from Yi-jun's aunt] Cool! (从怡君的阿姨那里拿到红包)酷!

Yi-jun: Taylor, repeat after me. Gong xi fa cai! 泰勒,跟我说一遍。恭喜发财!

Taylor: [To Yi-jun's aunt] Gong xi fa cai. [To Yi-jun] What did I just say? (对怡君的阿姨)恭喜发财。(对怡君)我刚刚说的是什么?

Yi-jun: You wished my aunt good luck and prosperity for the New Year. 你祝福我阿姨新年有好运而且发财。

Taylor: But why did she give me this--what-did-you-call-it”--hongbao? 但是她为什么要给我这个——你叫它啥——红包?

Yi-jun: It's a tradition. The elders give hongbaos to the younger people. Look, there's money inside. 这是传统。长辈发红包给晚辈。看,里面有钱喔。