纽约英语口语网新版
士丹利英语口语
第 73 课: I've definitely learned a lot here. 我在这里的确学到了不少

Wen: I know about Martin Luther King Jr. He gave his “I Have a Dream” speech at a march on Washington. 我知道小马丁路德金恩。他在华盛顿的一场游行中发表了《我有一个梦想》演说。

Nikki: Malcolm also gave speeches about equality, but he encouraged black self-defense, too. 麦尔坎也有发表关于平等的演说,不过他也鼓励黑人要自我防卫。

Wen: I heard that Malcolm was an extremist. But fighting back doesn't sound so extreme. 我听说麦尔坎是个激进主义者,不过反击听起来不是那么激进。

Nikki: Back then it was. But now when people look back they find out more of the truth about what happened. 在当时却是如此。不过现在回顾过去,人们发现了更多当时事情的真相。

Wen: In Chinese we say: “We learn as long as we live.” 在中文我们说 ‘活到老,学到老’。

Nikki: Malcolm used to say “knowledge is power.” 麦尔坎常说 ‘知识就是力量’。

Wen: I've definitely learned a lot here. 我在这里的确学到了不少。

Nikki: Speaking of learning, I hope you remember that step dancing you learned.
Surprise! If you can do it, you win fifty bucks! 说到学习,我希望你记得你学过的step dancing。给你一个惊喜!如果你会跳,你就可以赢得五十元!

Wen: What!? You want me to do that here? No way! I'm going back to your dorm room! [she tries to leave] 什么?你要我在这里跳?门都没有!我要回你的宿舍房间!(她想离开)

Nikki: [Stops Wen] Ha, ha! With knowledge comes responsibility. You got the
knowledge-now use it! (拦住小雯)哈哈!知识伴随着责任。你得到了知识,现在就要运用它!

Wen: Well, I haven't learned enough. If I did, I'd know how to get out of this. 呃,我还学得不够多。如果学得够多,我就会知道如何跷头。

Nikki: Quit triflin! Once you know blacks, you'll never go back. You best practice. [starts clapping] 别再混了!一旦了解黑人文化,就没办法过从前的日子。你最好开始练习。踏步、搥……

Yi-jun: I've never seen most of those fireworks. New York bans all of them? 那些烟火我几乎都没见过。纽约禁掉所有的烟火了?

Holly: Sure does. But in Texas you can buy anything and everything. 没错。但是在德州,什么都买得到。

Yi-jun: It's illegal to buy fireworks in Taiwan. People still do, though. 在台湾买烟火是非法的。不过大家还是照买。

Holly: You mainly get fireworks here only for certain holidays-like New Year's. 在这里,只有几个特定节日才买得到烟火——好比新年。

Yi-jun: Will we set them off tonight? 我们今晚会去放吗?

Holly: Naw, let's save them for tomorrow night. 不了,我们就把它们留到明晚吧。