纽约英语口语网新版
士丹利英语口语
第 83 课: Is it vegan?是素的吗?

Ocean: What's in the “California-style Thai salad”? ‘加州泰式色拉’有什么?

Waiter: We use mung bean noodles, as in Thailand, but we add special herbs grown in our back garden. And, yes, they're organic, sir. 我们用冬粉,跟泰国一样,但我们会加上我们后院生长的特别草药。而且,没错,他们是有机的,先生。

Ocean: Is it vegan? I don't eat any animal products. 是素的吗?我不吃荤的产品。

Waiter: No, sir. There are baby shrimp mixed in, and only the finest fish sauce is used as a seasoning. 不是,先生。会混一点虾米,而且会加上最高级的鱼露来调味。

Ocean: Perhaps you could hold the shrimp and use soy sauce instead? 也许你可以不加虾子,然后用酱油代替吗?

Waiter: No problem. [to Tiff] And what would you like, ma'am? 没问题。(对蒂芙)小姐,那您想点什么?

Tiff: What, exactly, is the entree: seared ahi with mesclun greens and mango-lemon vinaigrette? 这道主菜到底是什么:‘香柠金果醋淋烤金枪鱼加五彩生菜’?

Waiter: Ahi is tuna, and it is seared, or quickly fried at high heat. Vinaigrette is simply a kind of vinegar mix. 金枪鱼就是鲔鱼,将它烤过,或是以高温过油,油醋就只是一种混合醋。

Tiff: And what are mesclun greens? 那五彩生菜是什么?

Waiter: Mesclun means “mixed”-it's a salad with the finest variety of baby lettuce. ‘五彩’就是‘综合’的意思──是一种使用最上等莴苣婴的色拉。

Tiff: Sounds great, but could you put the dressing on the side for me? 听起来不错,不过你可以替我将酱汁分开放吗?

Waiter: Marvelous. [to Kai] And for you, sir? 没问题。(对着小凯)先生,那您呢?

Kai: I think I'll go with the lamb set meal, but could you tell me about the side of couscous with saffron? 我想我来个羊肉套餐,但你可不可以告诉我附菜‘番红花香蒸粉’是什么?

Waiter: Couscous is made of wheat and eaten like rice in much of the Middle East. Saffron is a spice with an indescribable flavor. 蒸粉是用小麦做成的,他们就类似大部分中东地区的米食。番红花是一种有无可言喻香味的香料。

Kai: Sounds good. You know, actually, I'm really starving. I think I'll order the sea bass set meal as well. 听起来不错。呃,其实,我真的很饿。我想我还要点一份黑鲈套餐。