纽约英语口语网新版
温哥华英语口语
第 156 课:A present. 一件礼物。

JEFF: You had to work too. You had to work during the day and go to school at night. These Bennetts were tougher than I am. I didn't have to leave the country or fight outlaws. I didn't have to start a business. I didn't have to work two jobs. I didn't even have to work weekends. 你也得工作。白天工作, 晚上还得上课。班纳特家庭的这些人都比我坚强。我不必离开自己的国家, 也不必与不法分子斗争。我不必自己做生意, 我不用做两份工作, 我甚至不用周末工作。

MR. BENNETT: No. You didn't have to do any of those things. But you're doing what you want to do. And you do it well. . . I think the other Bennetts would admire you. 不,你不必做那些事。但是你做着你想做的, 而且做得不错......我想班纳特家其他人也会称赞你的。

JEFF: This doesn't sound like you, Dad. 爸爸, 这话不像是你说的。

MR. BENNETT: I have more time to think these days, Jeff. . . I'm proud of you. 这阵子我有更多的时间想些事情, 杰夫, 我为你自豪。

MR. BENNETT: What's that? 那是什么?

JEFF: I brought you something, I hid it here last night. 我给你带来的一样东西。我昨晚藏在这儿了。

MR. BENNETT: What is it? 什么东西?

JEFF: A present. 一件礼物。

MR. BENNETT: You didn't have to get me a present. 你不用送我礼物。

JEFF: I didn't have to, but I wanted to. But you have to promise me something before you open it. 我不必送, 但我想送, 但在你打开它之前你得答应我一件事。

MR. BENNETT: What? 什么?

JEFF: You have to wait until I talk to the doctor before you use this. 你得等我与医生谈过之后才能用这个。

MR. BENNETT: OK. 好的。

JEFF: And you have to promise me something else. 你还得答应我另一件事。

MRS. BENNETT: What? 什么?

JEFF: You have to promise me that we can go out to the golf course together. 你得答应我, 我们可以一起去高尔夫球场。

MR. BENNETT: It's a deal. Now can I open my present? What is it? A baseball bat? 这事儿就这么定了。现在我能打开我的礼物了吗? 是什么? 一根棒球棒?